Advertising

The Sound of Garuda: Mixed By Gareth Emery

Cristina Soto Interview


So… If you’ve been involved in the global Dance music scene at all for the last couple of years, the name “Cristina Soto” would have come across your path quite a bit… 


Q:

your work with Tritonal, and more recently with ATB has seen your voice travel the world from radio shows to major events all over the world… tell us a bit about “Cristina Soto” something we don’t already know?


A:

hmm... Well this may not be news if you already know me, but I grew up in Idaho. It is a remote mountain state in the Northwest. Whenever someone tells me they're from Idaho, I feel like I already know a part of them. It may sound silly but the state is so beautiful and I'll always associate it with being a kid. 


Q:

What would we typically find in a teenage Cristina Soto’s bedroom?

A:


I can tell you what you wouldn't find: a white wall in sight. I covered my bedroom from top to bottom in pictures, photos, and inspiring print media. There may have been a Jared Leto or Leonardo DiCaprio poster in the mix. No shame. 



Q:

You’re from Texas right? Now, I would Imagine that the stereotypical view of Texas goes something like this… 10 Gallon Hats, Cowboy Boots, Bible Belt, Heavy Accents, Country Music, Guns, A controversial ex-president…And just maybe some American Football… but the last thing I would Imagine coming out of Texas is one of the world’s top Trance acts! How did the meeting with Tritonal and Dance Music in general come about? and are there any stereotypical Texas customs you actually do enjoy?

A:

I met Tritonal through a mutual friend in the electronic scene here in Austin. Jesse Brede (shoutout!) put us in a room one day and we wrote our first song in a few hours... I'd like to think we've evolved and improved our sound since it takes us much longer now! As far as Texas customs, I’d say the food has been my favorite. I really love BBQ and Tex-Mex. Austin is a different kind of town though, so I don’t see too many 10-gallon hats in these parts. If Texas has taught me anything in the summertime it is to be close to a body of water whenever possible. 

Q:

Any chances of seeing a Cristina Soto Solo Album… and if so who would you like to work with?

A:

There's no solo album in the works at the moment but I'm keeping busy with single collaborations and the album release for the joint project with my brother, Suther & Brista. If I end up doing an album in the future, I’ll probably want to produce it with someone I know. It’s important to have a good relationship with your producer/engineer. As far as other artists I’d work with... I'd probably be all over the place for a diverse set 
of tracks.


Q:

I’ve always been a really big ATB fan… and really feel he’s quite underrated… how did the meeting with “Andre” come about?

A:

Our publishers made the intro and the project started immediately. We made both tracks over email and Skype! It was a crazy experience to work with someone at that level who I grew up listening to. 

Q:

Any question you’ve always wanted to be asked? A question you would love to answer… and if so… what’s the answer to the question?

A:

Haha I don't think I've ever wanted a specific question. I’m still surprised people want to interview me. One question I get a lot though is “how old are you?” So curious! 28. There :P

Q:

Out of all the tracks you’ve worked on, which stands out for you most and why?

A:

I think “Forgive Me, Forget You” will always have a place in my heart because it was such a transformational song writing process and chapter in my life. I literally wrote the song on my massage therapist’s table. The track went through a long journey of creation, rejection, and revival when it finally released.

Q:

Where would we find “Cristina Soto”, when she isn’t singing or writing music? Do you have any hidden talents, hobbies or passions?

A:

When I’m not doing music stuff, I’m geeking it up at my real job. I am a technical consultant by day… shhh don’t tell anyone ;) I ride my bike a lot, cook and bake up scratch meals for my people, and volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters. If I’m not doing one of those, I’m plotting mischief (which must remain top secret). 


Q:

Is there any track ever written, that you wish you had written or done vocals for… or for that matter… would love to do a cover of? 

A:

I find myself wishing I had written a verse/lyric or a vocal run more than a whole song. I'd love to cover something from the 80s. 

Q:

What can we expect from “Cristina Soto” In the near and distant future?

A:

Near Future: What time is it? Lunch. 

Really though - I’m always singing so tracks are in the cards... possibly a music video... and more live dates with Tritonal. Stay tuned ;) 

interview by Johan De Kock.

Check out Cristina's Website for more on the amazing Singer, Songwriter...









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More